Schubert Club KidsJam Workshops for Families
About Virtual KidsJam Workshops
KidsJam workshops this season are virtual 25-minute interactive sessions for children ages 5-12 to experience musical performances, get involved through creative activities and movement, and learn about the people, cultures, and sounds behind the music.
Each program will feature a 10 minute CREATE instructional video for you to create an instrument to use during the workshop (not required for participation in the interactive program). CREATE videos will be posted one week before the workshop premiere.
Your support helps to make these virtual programs possible. Thank you!Applaud with a Donation
LISTEN to the powerful reading of Jimi: Sounds Like a Rainbow: A Story of the Young Jimi Hendrix accompanied by inspirational and improvisational music on the piano. LEARN about Jimi’s creative bravery and trailblazing as a model for the future, and how it has impacted the life
and work of musicians, Joe and deVon. PLAY your own musical CREATIONS blending styles and sounds to express your own feelings and emotions.
CREATE your own Thumb Piano! | Tuesday, April 13, 2021: 10:30am
- Block of wood, approximately 5″ x 4″ x 1/2″ (Any size larger within several inches will work)
- Note: You can get a block of sample wood flooring at Home Depot this size for FREE
- Duct tape
- 2 wooden sticks (we used chopsticks)
- Cut length to be 2 inches longer than the width of the wood block
- Craft sticks or popsicle sticks also work but not as well as chopsticks
- 2 rubber bands – 1/8 – 1/4″ width, 1-1/2″ – 2″ diameter
- 5 bobby pins – standard size work, but larger ones are better
- for the Bodhran: pizza box OR cardboard bank box cover
- for the Drumstick: roll of masking tape and unsharpened pencil or 8” wood dowel OR bamboo skewers and small rubber bands
LISTEN to jigs, reels, hornpipes and airs as Ross and MacKenzie perform Irish and Scottish music on a variety of instruments. LEARN about the traditional tunes, songs and instruments and PLAY along on your own bodhran drum. This video will remain on our website until February 8, 2021.
Live Q&A with Ross and MacKenzie | Tuesday, December 8, 2020: 10:50am
Ross and MacKenzie’s program is supported by the Arts Midwest Touring Fund, a program of Arts Midwest that is funded by the National Endowment for the Arts, with additional contributions from the Minnesota State Arts Board and the Crane Group.
TAIKO: Get Inside the Beat | Tuesday, February 9, 2021: 10:30am
LISTEN to the thunder of the high energy taiko drums. Learn about taiko’s Japanese and Asian American roots and history. PLAY the drums and feel the beats rattle inside your chest while you CREATE your own groove.
CREATE your own Taiko Drum! | Tuesday, February 2, 2021: 10:30am
- 1 Bucket (example uses 3.5 gallon, however any size should work)
- Packing Tape
- Large plastic or wooden spoon (or other sturdy wooden dowel)
All virtual KidsJam programs are FREE!
Programs will be posted here and on Youtube.
Each program will be available for viewing for 60 days.
This activity is made possible by the voters of Minnesota through a Minnesota State Arts Board Operating Support grant, thanks to a legislative appropriation from the arts and cultural heritage fund, and a grant from the Wells Fargo Foundation Minnesota.