At last week’s Schubert Club Mix featuring music by Philip Glass and Johan Sebastian Bach played by Christopher O’Riley, we had a pre-concert trivia quiz. Thanks to former Schubert Club intern Quinn Shadko for researching and presenting the quiz.
Here are the answers to our Bach to Basics trivia quiz:
- The Beach Boys, “Lady Lynda” (Bach – Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring)
- Xzibit featuring Dr. Dre, “Symphony in X Major” (Bach – Brandenburg #3)
- Paul Simon, “American Tune” (Bach – St. Matthew’s Passion)
- Alicia Keys, “Karma” (Brahms – Violin Concerto)
- The Toys, “Lover’s Concerto” (Bach – Minuet in G)
Q:Who is attributed with saying that Bach is “the immortal god of harmony?”
Q: Bach once walked a great distance to hear his favorite organist, Dietrich Buxtehude, perform. How many miles did he walk?
A: 250 miles
Q: What famous film features Bach’s Passacaglia and Fugue in C Minor during a baptism scene?
A: The Godfather
Q: What Broadway musical draws from Bach’s Toccata and Fugue in D Minor for one of its main themes?
A: The Phantom of the Opera
Q: What is the common title of Bach’s comic cantata that directly translates from German as “Be still, stop chattering?”
A: The Coffee Cantata