Schubert Club Special Music Grants
Schubert Club offers grants to serious, talented music students in need of financial assistance to further their musical development. Most grants are for $500 and are used for special music education projects such as summer camp, workshops, etc. In addition to music camps and workshops, the Special Music Grants Committee welcomes and encourages other unique and innovative projects which further musical creativity and development. Applicants must be between the ages of 12 and 30 and reside in Minnesota, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota or Wisconsin. (The cost of on-going lessons, on-going school tuition, transportation or housing are not supported by Special Music Grants.)
Applications Available Online: January 15, 2019
Application Deadline: Friday, April 5, 2019
In addition to submitting your application, please download the two recommendation forms and have your references complete them. The completed forms can then be emailed to email@example.com. Both references forms are required and due by the application deadline.
Special Music Grant Rules, 2019
1. The applicant must be no younger than 12 years old and no older than 30 years old on May 31, 2019 and a resident of Minnesota, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota or Wisconsin.
2. Current year Winners of The Schubert Club Scholarship Competition are NOT eligible to apply for a Special Music Grant.
3. The applicant must submit a complete Special Music Grants application. Please do not send a resume or curriculum vitae.
4. The applicant must submit two letters of recommendation, one from the applicant’s current music teacher and one from another person unrelated to the applicant.
Completed applications must be received online by the deadline. Additionally, all letters of recommendation must be received by that time by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Schubert Club, Emma Figgins, 302 Landmark Center, 75 W 5th St., Saint Paul, MN, 55102
The Special Music Grants Committee meets in April to review applications and to recommend awards.
Recipients of Special Music Grants will be notified within 4 weeks after the deadline. Award checks will be issued without delay to the individual or program as specified on the recipient’s application.
Special Music Grant recipients must provide a written, final report to the Special Music Grants Committee within 6 months after the application deadline. Failure to do so will remove the recipient from future grant and Student Scholarship Competition eligibility. A Final Report Form will be emailed to each Special Music Grant recipient.
Examples of programs for which students have received grants:
- Amherst Early Music Festival’s Baroque Academy
- Boston GuitarFest at the New England Conservatory
- Bowdoin International Music Festival
- Eastern Music Festival
- Encore School for Strings
- Golandsky Institute Summer Music Symposium
- Greenwood Music Camp
- Italian language study at the University of Minnesota
- Madeline Island Music Camp
- Meadowmount School of Music
- Minnesota Opera Camp
- Northern Lights Chamber Music Institute
- Université Européenne d’été pour le Saxophone
- Young Artist Camp at the University of Minnesota-Duluth
The costs of on-going lessons, on-going school tuition, transportation or housing are not supported by Special Music Grants awards.