Building their first piano in 1777, the Érard company became known for its high quality instruments. Combining European craftsmanship and English action, their instruments were favored by royalty in France and England and enjoyed by musicians from Haydn and Beethoven to Liszt. This instrument was sent to Lyon, France for Liszt’s use during his Summer 1844 concert tour.
Fallboard: “Brevet Erard a Paris”
Twisted leg supports
Signed by Liszt on interior
Inscription: “je declare avoir fait force fausses notes et gribouillé maint mauvaise musique sur ce charmant instrument. 19 Juillet 44 F. Liszt”