DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
Supervisor: Barry Kempton
Supervisor’s Title: Artistic and Executive Director
Positions Supervised: Patron Relations Manager (shared supervision)
Schedule/Hours: 40 hours a week, M-F, occasional evenings and weekends
ABOUT SCHUBERT CLUB
Schubert Club, founded in 1882, is a Twin Cities-based arts organization whose mission is to foster an engaged community of music enthusiasts through concerts, music education, museum exhibits and student scholarships. Schubert Club’s concert presentations include the International Artist Series at the Ordway, Music in the Park Series (Sunday afternoon chamber music concerts), Schubert Club Mix (innovative, less formal concerts), Family Concerts, and other various ticketed and free performances in the Twin Cities. It also runs a broad range of education, scholarship and museum programs, details of which can be found at www.schubert.org.
The Director of Development is responsible for the generation, execution, and management of Schubert Club’s fundraising plan and donor relations programs for short- and long-term financial support. This position cultivates, establishes, and manages relationships with funding institutions, Board members, patrons, donors, volunteers, and community leaders. As a one-person department with limited administrative support, the position will best suit a person who enjoys both planning strategy and implementing tasks.
1. In collaboration with the Artistic and Executive Director, plan, develop, and execute annual and strategic programs, campaigns, and activities to ensure that Schubert Club has a Board-approved budget to sustain and enhance its mission and fiscal goals.
a. Plan and lead Schubert Club’s annual fundraising campaign around achievable annual goals, periodically evaluating and adjusting strategy as appropriate.
b. Apply a strong understanding of procedures, rules, and laws for all fundraising and philanthropic efforts across the organization, maintaining compliant practices, and ensuring that legal and audit standards are met.
c. In collaboration with the Director of Marketing, ensure that all Development communications align with institutional positioning and marketing messages.
d. Maintain a Development calendar to ensure all fundraising campaigns, activities, and events meet their deadlines.
e. Provide hands-on execution of all Development activities, cooperating with colleagues to ensure successful completion.
f. In collaboration with the Director of Marketing, provide work direction to the Patron Relations Manager.
g. Stay current on industry trends and maintain relationships with networking contacts, to ensure that Schubert Club fundraising campaigns and activities are fresh and relevant.
h. Ensure all gifts, sponsorships, and grants have been entered into Audience View, and that all appropriate follow up, tracking, documentation, reporting, and internal tracking have been completed for financial accuracy and historical record keeping.
i. Provide internal reports for board, management, and finance.
2. Maintain relationships and support the activities of the Board of Directors through the Marketing & Development Committee and the Nominating & Governance Committee to ensure that the Board is equipped to make decisions and support Schubert Club mission and goals.
a. Collaborate with Committee chairs to develop agendas, attend, participate, provide reports and materials, and take minutes at all Marketing & Development Committee meetings and at Nominating & Governance Committee meetings.
b. Assist and facilitate Board members with developing new donor and sponsor relations.
c. Develop and maintain strong relationships with all Board members as a senior member of the management team for the purpose of supporting a positive spirit and ambiance within the Board.
3. Plan, implement, and manage comprehensive Individual and Planned Giving Program for monetary and in-kind gifts, ensuring that donors receive a personal experience with their donation.
a. Maintain a planned giving portfolio of donors and prospects for personal cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
b. Develop, execute, and distribute Development campaign communications as they pertain to individual gifts using both print and social media, for the annual campaign, the gift renewal program, and special campaigns.
c. Develop and maintain Schubert Club’s planned giving program, cultivating gifts through bequests, trusts, charitable gift annuities, and other planned giving vehicles.
d. Collaborate and communicate with the Artistic and Executive Director and Board members to identify major gift prospects and evaluate their giving capacity. Plan and implement cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship approaches.
e. Coordinate donor research efforts to identify new prospects and cultivate a broader and deeper donor base.
f. Accept appropriate asset-based gifts that comply with Schubert Club’s gift acceptance policy, and consult with the Museum Director regarding donations intended for the Museum.
g. Travel as needed to foster and maintain donor relationships.
h. Coordinate and act as liaison for volunteers when needed.
4. Plan, implement, and manage a comprehensive grant development program so that grant and governmental monies are maximized.
a. In collaboration with the Artistic and Executive Director, strategize grant applications to ensure artistic and programmatic support.
b. Research, develop, write, prepare, and submit grant proposals in accordance with appropriate deadlines.
c. Maintain relationships with key staff members in foundations.
d. Utilize databases and internet resources to keep up-to-date with current sources for grants.
5. Plan, implement, and manage corporate sponsorship, and government relations for Schubert Club to foster long-term relationships for optimum giving.
a. Utilize and employ a strong understanding of procedures, rules, and policies on soliciting and accepting gifts and grants from corporate sponsors and government agencies; to ensure all restricted gifts are followed and appropriately reported on.
b. Research, develop, write, prepare, and submit corporate and government agency proposals in accordance with appropriate deadlines.
c. Maintain relationships with key staff members of corporations and government agencies.
d. Prepare presentation materials, written proposals and budgets for corporate funding prospects in conjunction with the Artistic and Executive Director, when necessary.
e. Work creatively and responsively to increase the number of corporate sponsors, government agency grants and total dollars raised through prospecting initiatives and research.
6. Manage and oversee successful planning and implementation of all Development events, to provide social opportunities and additional fundraising opportunities that support Schubert Clubs mission and goals.
a. Plan and execute annual events, subscriber and concert events, dinners, and other unique events.
b. Coordinate logistics, recruit staff and volunteers, manage vendors, develop materials, generate invitations and monitor responses to ensure cost-effective, successful events.
c. Maintain event files for future reference.
d. Participate in the planning, execution, management and hosting of Patron Tours.
7. Provide support and oversight of Schubert Club’s endowment, to ensure that gifts are properly designated and that the endowment can sustain the budget in the long term.
a. Ensure that endowment activities comply with all policies and laws related to endowment funding, fundraising, and philanthropy, including laws regarding donor privacy and confidentiality.
b. Ensure organizational understanding of historical endowment gifts and current gifts.
c. Lead planned giving efforts to build the endowment.
8. Represent Schubert Club at Arts Partnership meetings and in development-related projects and undertakings.
a. Attend meetings and collaborate with fellow Arts Partnership leaders and staff to plan and execute special projects.
b. Initiate donor contact and solicit gifts for the Arts Partnership as part of cooperative fundraising.
9. Support and foster Schubert Club’s collaborative business practices to ensure all business activities are successful in support of Schubert Club’s mission and professional goals.
a. Assist with setting up concerts and events as requested and needed.
b. Assist with onsite concert and event support
c. Assist with Museum activities as needed.
d. Assist with office-wide projects as needed
e. Act as a steward and liaison to the public external Schubert Club events, to foster a positive reputation of Schubert Club.
- Exceptional written, spoken, and interpersonal communication skills at all levels, from individual patrons to corporate, foundation, or governmental group presentations
- Database and/or CRM software proficiency
- Fundraising leadership experience with music, museum, or other arts organizations
- Experience researching and completing applications for corporate, foundation, and government grants
- Expertise in donor research
- Successful record of meeting or exceeding fundraising goals
- Accurate financial recordkeeping experience
- Understanding of and experience with endowments
- Reliable transportation
- Ability to work evenings and weekends required
- Occasionally lift up to 40 pounds
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND LICENSES/CERTIFICATIONS
A. or B.S. in Arts Administration or related field required
5 years of experience in donor relations
Minimum 3 years of grant writing experience
To apply, please send cover letter, resume, and three professional references to email@example.com by Monday, May 27, 2019.